Carla, is the namesake of her grandfather, Carl who immigrated to America to pursue his American Dream. She is the daughter of two public school educators and has an extensive background in education, public service and business.
Carla earned an elementary and special education degree from Drake University and a Masters of Education from the University of Minnesota. Carla taught in small rural schools and most recently in the Rochester public schools. She has taught students in grades 1-9 as a special education teacher, a title one teacher, resource room teacher and as a middle school reading teacher. Carla, also a reading specialist, knows that reading well by third grade is essential to academic success, closing achievement gaps and keeping the American Dream open for all.
Carla is a small business owner and earned national recognition as a MDRT member for several years. Carla and Terry have three grown sons, two wonderful daughters in law, and two precious grandchildren.
Terry and Carla are members of the Rochester Area Chamber of Commerce, Veterans groups and are members of Autumn Ridge Church.
Carla remains involved in her community and is serving or has served in a number of roles, including:
- Rotary member
- PEO member
- Daughter of the American Revolution member
- Trustee on the Greater Rochester Arts and Cultural Trust
- Board of Directors for the SPARKS Children’s Museum
- Rochester Orchestra and Chorale Member
- Served as President of Friends of Mayowood
- Rochester Network For Reentry Board of Directors
- Rochester Music Guild Board of Directors
- Junior Achievement Board of Directors.